Thursday, October 4, 2012

Why Are We Doing This?

Yesterday was one of those days.  You know - the feeling of "why am I even doing this?"  As I'm driving to the lesson thoughts are going through my mind.  Oops, we didn't practice much this week - I was tired - she was ornery - there was no time.  Why am I paying for lessons anyway when I need the money for other things?  Is it worth it?

Then I remember something I read on Facebook a while back that really hit home.

Why have I spent hundreds of hours of my life practicing with my kids, going to lessons, sacrificing . . .

Not because we expect you to major in music,
Not because we expect you to play all your life, 
Not so you can relax,
Not so you can have fun,
But - so you can be human,
So you will recognize beauty,
So you will be 
sensitive,
So you will be closer to an infinite beyond this world,
So you will have something to cling to,
So you will have more love, more compassion, more gentleness, more good,
In short . . . more life.

What value will it be to make a prosperous living unless you know how to live?


I hope that this blog will help someone when they are having one of these kinds of days.


...to change the subject...



My darling daughter just learned Two Grenadiers.  And, for those of you who know this piece, the bowings are a killer!  We've finally mastered them, but I want her to get in the habit of playing the whole piece correctly. So, I've whipped up this little chart.  I've told her that every time she plays the Two Grenadiers correctly she can mark off a grenadier.  If she can finish it before her next lesson (one week) she'll get a prize out of my prize box.  Enjoy!



You can download this chart here.

No comments: